CSR Early Australian Mills
407 photographs of early Colonial Sugar Refining Company (CSR) Australian mills and their surrounding areas. Also included are five photo albums with photographs taken by CSR Chemist C. O. Randall.
ANU Department of Zoology Photograph Album
An album containing photographs of the design and construction of the ANU Zoology building and animal house designed by architect Robin Boyd.
Burns Philp Photographs of Asia & Pacific
67 photographs of Asia and the Pacific by Burns Philp, a major Australian shipping line and merchant operating in the South Pacific. Incorporated in Sydney in 1883, Burns Philp diversified into plantation ownership with the formation of the Australasian New Hebrides Company in 1889, purchasing about 80,000 acres of land in the New Hebrides.
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries the company extended its area of interest from Melanesia to the Central Pacific, Fiji, Tonga and Samoa. Burns Philp diversified into retail, agriculture and insurance until the company was delisted from the Australian Stock Exchange in 2006.
Departmental Annual Reports to Council from 1952 to 1998
A collection of annual reports from ANU and Canberra University College (CUC) from 1952 to 1998. In late 1960, the CUC amalgamated with ANU to become the School of General Studies within the University. The CUC annual reports contain information about staff, subjects offered and the general prospects of the College. From very early on, the reports advocated the need for a full-scale teaching university in Canberra.
From 1962, detailed information on academic and administrative matters were recorded in reports to the ANU Council from research schools, teaching departments and administrative areas.
Canberra University College Gazette
Copies of the Canberra University College Gazette, a general newsletter for students and staff of the College. The Canberra University College was established on 19 December 1929 and took its first students in 1930. It was a predecessor of ANU and provided undergraduate university education in Canberra, in association with the University of Melbourne.
Seaman’s Union Membership Registers
Membership Registers of the Seamen’s Union of Australia, the principal trade union for merchant seamen in Australia from 1876 to 1991. It is now part of the Maritime Union of Australia. These membership registers are large, leather-bound books.
Map of Eremeran Sheep Station
Eremeran Station was established in 1863. The station was purchased by John Macnicol and Co in 1881 from Robert Smith & Co (clients of the Australian Agency and Banking Corporation). It is one of the larger stations connected with the firm Goldsbrough Mort and Company Limited, and its predecessor R. Goldsbrough and Co Ltd, until its sale in 1968. At the height of its operation, the station was over 400,000 acres in size and employed over 70 people.
The Noel Butlin Archives holds a variety of Eremeran Station records including financial records, day books, wages books, correspondence, returns to the Company's Head Office (Melbourne), wool press books, maps and plans, which span the period from 1880 – 1965.