ANU statistical handbooks and bulletins
This collection contains 36 volumes of statistical bulletins and handbooks from the University, with coverage starting from 1971. The information in these handbooks contain statistical information on University students, staff and finances – produced by the Planning Unit. The bulletins and summaries are selections taken from the handbooks and produced as a separate publication.
Digitisation supports the many enquiries for historical statistics received by the University’s Planning and Performance Division.
ANU Visitor's Guides
The Visitor's Guides were originally booklets, but were eventually issued as leaflets in which a campus map is the dominant feature.
Within this collection there are also brochures about artworks, buildings and trees that can be found on campus. The guides range from early 1970s through to late 1990s. The guides and booklets provide information and show changes to the campus over time.
Tooth and Company Ltd.
The next consignment of the Sydney and Country Pubs have now been added to Open Research. With almost 3000 photographs containing images of the interior decor and exterior designs of many famous Australian hotels, these images are a rich resource for those studying architecture; heritage studies; and social history.
The Tooth & Co. Ltd collection continues to be one of the most requested in the ANU Archives as patrons; local historians; genealogists; architects; and heritage professionals have shown a great interest in the institution of the Australian Pub.
Coming soon – breweries, advertisements and signage!
Series 16 of the ANU photograph collection has now been added online. This series is comprised of photographs of the Australian National University campus, including Mount Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatory. There are aerial photographs of the Acton site at different times, and photographs of events and portraits. Many are mounted on board for display purposes.
Australian Agricultural Company staff news
The Australian Agricultural Company (AACo) operated in four major NSW locations during the nineteenth century – Port Stephens, Tamworth, Quirindi, and Newcastle – and later in Queensland and Northern Australia. Its interests expanded to include wool; wheat; cattle; coal; and land sales.
Within a year of its formation in 1824, the AACo became involved in coal mining at Newcastle, taking over the government’s operations there. After protracted negotiations, the first AACo pit was opened in 1831.
The AACo staff newsletters provide annual updates on the company, including detailed summaries from many of their pastoral stations across Australia.
When the Australian Agricultural Company (AACo) was formed in London in 1824, it received a grant of one million acres of land to be taken up around Port Stephens in New South Wales. Mr Armstrong was sent by the company to survey the land and reported what he found to the Company Directors.
Les playoust au bout du monde: a case study of two French-Australian families
This ANU thesis by Jacqueline Dwyer begins by referring to the French traders who came to Australia in the late 19th century. Their goal was to acquire wool of fine quality in order to meet the needs of the thriving woollen textile mills in Northern France, but in bypassing the London market, they also encouraged the colony's independence from the mother country