Today the ANU Library is encouraging you to stop for an hour and read as part of Reading Hour.
Australian Reading Hour is a national campaign that encourages Australians to pick up a book and read for one hour – day or night – on Thursday, September 20. Read by yourself, read with a friend, read to your children!
Research shows that reading can have a significant positive impact on our lives:
- In adults, reading has been shown to reduce stress by 68% more than listening to music, going for a walk, or having a cup of tea.
- Reading a gripping novel causes positive biological changes in the brain that can last for days.
- Readers of narrative fiction achieved significantly higher empathy than other groups.
- Reading is closely linked to increasing our understanding of our own identities.
Looking for some inspiration on what to read this Australian Reading Hour? Each year Better Reading compile their Top 100 Books as voted by readers. The ANU Library has a number of these titles, including:
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
- Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
- Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion by Jane Austen
- Cloudstreet, Dirt Music and Breath by Tim Winton
- The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien
- The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
- Burial Rites by Hannah Kent
- 1984 by George Orwell
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
- The Birdman’s Wife by Melissa Ashley
- A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan
- Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
- The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
- People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
- The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
- Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
- My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult
- The Secret River by Kate Grenville
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- The Natural Way of Things by Charlotte Wood
- The Secret History by Donna Tartt
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
- Atonement by Ian McEwan
- The Daughters of Mars by Tom Keneally
Come into the Library and pick up a book and read for an hour. Take the time to learn, grow, escape and relax.