Are you using EndNote on a Mac? There are important changes you need to be aware of.
In October, Mac will be officially releasing their latest Operating System (10.15), known as Catalina. This impacts EndNote users on Macs because Apple will be dropping all 32-bit application support, including EndNote X9. So, if you update to the Catalina iOS, EndNote will no longer operate.
The Library has been advised by Crandon (who offer technical support for Clarivate Analytics EndNote software in Australia/New Zealand) that users should first update to EndNote X9.3 before updating to Catalina.
If you have already updated to the Catalina beta-version, it is not possible to complete the EndNote X9.3 update and thus it will not be possible to use EndNote on your Mac. It is also not possible to roll-back the Catalina update, and none of the earlier versions of EndNote (X7 or X8) will run on the Catalina Operating System.
For more information, you should read the following sites before making the decision to upgrade to Catalina:
- Crandon – FAQ on EndNote / Catalina
- Clarivate Support – EndNote for Mac, Catalina Compatibility
- Macworld - Catalina features
- Macworld – apps that won’t work on Catalina
Update 21 October 2019
The ANU Service Desk has issued a notice about issues surrounding the Catalina update, including its impacts on Endnote and other applications. We would recommend you review their advice before updating to the Catalina operating system.
Update 15 November 2019
With the release of the EndNote X9.3.1 installer by Clarivate Analytics, an immediate solution is available for ANU staff and students affected by Mac Catalina OS and EndNote incompatibility.
Digital Literacy Training recommend Mac users uninstall EndNote, and then re-install version X9.3.1 following the steps below:
- Uninstall old version of EndNote
- Quit all programs
- Go to the EndNote for Mac section on the Wattle site.
- Download the EndNote X9.3.1 site installer from the Wattle page(90 MB - for OS X10.10 and above).
- After download is finished, double click the file (in the Download location).
- Double click the EndNote Installer package EndnoteX9.mpkg
- Follow the steps of the EndNote installer as prompted. This installs EndNote on your Mac.
EndNote Update X9.3.2 will be released during November. For more information see the EndNote for Mac section on the Wattle site. In addition, ALL Mac users should be aware of their iCloud settings: https://www.crandon.com.au/endnote/faq/Mac_folders.html
For further support, please contact email@example.com or call 02 61258886.