The 2020 hailstorm caused damage to a large number of buildings on the ANU campus, including ANU Library buildings.
Work to repair the Chifley Library roof is currently taking place.
Below is an update on works and what can be expected during this process.
Week starting Monday 3 October
- There were no major works on site due to the wet weather.
- Site works completed this week included delivery of scaffolding materials and installation of scaffolding, additional hoardings, and signage.
- It was noted that the Chifley balcony drains were unintentionally covered by the flood protection. Openings have been cut to allow water to flow into drains.
- A new handle has been installed on the temporary door in the external hoarding. This is to allow for fire egress.
Week starting Monday 10 October
- Works scheduled for this week include scaffold installation and spandrel panel removal.
A crane is scheduled to be on site Tuesday 11 October.
- Construction workers and ANU Security will be assisting with pedestrian movements while the crane is on site. Please listen to any directions they provide, as it is important for your safety.
- Drilling into the slab will occur between 7am and 8am. Please be aware of the noise impacts.
- The spandrel panel will be removed via a boom lift from Joplin Lane. This will occur early in the morning, so quiet time can be observed from 9:30am.
- An outage notification for the fire services will be issued this week.
Impacts during construction
- The Chifley Library will remain open and have staff available to assist you during this period.
- There will be periods of loud metal-on-metal banging while scaffolding is installed. We recommend you use one of our other branches during this time if quiet study is preferred.
- All timeframes are approximate, and there may be delays depending on weather conditions and other site factors.
The ANU Library thanks you for your support and patience during this process.
Please get in touch with Library staff if you have any questions or concerns.