The Chifley Library, named after Joseph Benedict Chifley (Prime Minister of Australia from 1945-1949), supports the teaching, learning and research activities of staff and students in the ANU College of Arts & Social Sciences and the ANU College of Business and Economics.
The Library is also a valuable resource for the broader ANU community and visiting scholars and researchers, and welcomes all members of the public.
The Chifley Library collection supports the social sciences and humanities (SS&H) and includes studies in business and economics.
Some major strengths of the collection includes:
- Art history and curatorship
- Classics and ancient history
- Film, drama and new media arts
- Finance and management
- Fine art
- Gender, sexuality and cultural studies
- Language and literature (Australian, English, American and European)
- Latin American studies
- Military and defence studies
- Political science and international relations
The collections consist of material in print and electronic format including books, journals, videos, DVDs, microforms and databases. The SS&H Collection is primarily located in the Chifley Library, however there are some SS&H materials housed in other Library locations. Please see Library call numbers and locations for more information.
2024 update - ANU Library staff are in the process of moving a range of resources from the art and music collections over to the Chifley Library. Find more information on the Art & Music page.
Additional Library services
Digital media suite
Four Information Commons computers in the Chifley Library provide students and staff with a variety of digitising, authoring and publishing tools. Professional authoring software is available to edit scanned images, create web pages, create multimedia presentations, author printed documents and burn interactive or archival CD ROMs and DVDs in various formats.
The Chifley Library contains the main audio-visual collection, with areas provided for viewing videos and DVDs.
- 122 computers in flexible study areas, including both PCs and Macs, and several 'fast lane' computers*
- 11 Multi-Function Devices (MFDs) available to print, copy and scan
- Two flexible learning labs with 12 PCs in each lab
- 15 group study rooms with whiteboards, 9 rooms are equipped with computers and DVD/video players
- Capacity for 647 individual and group study spaces
- 264 power points for personal laptops
- Wireless network coverage available throughout the building
- More than 300 lockers
- The Deck: Digital Engagement and Creativity Hub
- Disability Services Centre Resource Room
- Parents Room
*Fast lane computers on Level 2 are at standing desks and are to be used for up to 15 minutes only for quick printing and emails. Please use computers with chairs for longer periods - available on all levels.
View our services for people with accessibility needs page for specific Chifley Library accessibility information.