Update on hail repairs - Chifley Library
The 2020 hailstorm caused damage to many buildings on the ANU campus, including ANU Library buildings.
Work to repair the Chifley Library roof is currently taking place.
Below is an update on works and what can be expected during this process.
All timeframes are approximate, and there may be delays depending on weather conditions and other site factors.
Week starting Monday 17 October
- Scaffolding continued to be installed, with exclusion zones and pedestrian activity managed daily.
- The hazmat team helped to remove window spandrel panels for scaffold tie-in points.
Week starting Monday 24 October
- There will be no crane on site this week.
- Wet weather is predicted. More FloodSax(sandless sandbags) have been procured and are available if required.
- Windows have been temporarily waterproofed around the scaffold tie-ins on the northern and western facades.
- Detailed roofing construction coordination meetings are about to begin.
- It is anticipated that the upper roof section will be done first (not the copper), and that work will first commence on the eastern side.
- When the scaffold reaches roof level, the first activity undertaken will be removal of the asbestos eaves. This will be completed as per all legislative requirements with exclusion zones, controlled conditions, air monitoring, etc.)
Access to Chifley Library
- The Chifley Library will remain open and have staff available to assist you during this period.
- Please use the main entrance off the bridge from Kambri, as access is not permitted via the balcony.
- Pay attention to all signs and listen to any directions provided by ANU Security. These are provided for your safety.
- There will be periods of loud metal-on-metal banging while scaffolding is installed. We recommend you use one of our other branches during this time if quiet study is preferred.
The ANU Library thanks you for your support and patience during this process.
Please get in touch with Library staff if you have any questions or concerns.