Library accessibility support
Staff in all Library branches can help eligible users by collecting books from the shelves, arranging for books to be brought from other buildings, and assisting in the use of the Library catalogue and other electronic services.
Reserved parking and wheelchair access
Reserved parking spaces are close to the entrance of most Library locations for people with restricted mobility. All ANU Library branches are wheelchair accessible.
- Chifley Library– Kambri parking station in the basement of the Marie Reay building. Exit onto Joplin Lane and take the lift located in the Di Riddell building at Level B and exit on Level 1 (front). Turn right and then left to cross the bridge into the Chifley Library.
- Chifley Library – Baldessin parking station. Exit, then turn right and take the pathway to University Avenue, then turn left when you see the Chifley Library and proceed to the entrance over the bridge.
- Hancock Library– near the side entrance, off Biology Place.
- Law Library – in the pay-as-you-go (PAYG) carpark next to the Law Library or in the HC Coombs Building carpark.
- Menzies Library– at the front entrance of the Menzies Library.
- Art & Music Library – at the rear of the School of Art & Design building, entry via courtyard.
The ANU interactive map shows the current location of accessible car parking on campus. More information about accessible parking, including a printable map, is available on the Accessibility webpage.
Lift access is available in the Chifley, Hancock, Menzies, and Law Library locations. In Chifley, Hancock and Law, the lifts have controls accessible at wheelchair height and raised lettering controls.
As lifts cannot be used in the case of fire or similar emergency, users who rely on the lift should notify Library staff when they enter and leave the buildings.
Access to 24/7 libraries
The Chifley, Hancock and Law branches are accessible 24/7 to ANU staff and students.
Before 9am and after 5pm Monday to Friday, and on Saturday and Sundays, the main entry doors will only open when you place your ANU identity card on the card reader located near the main entry doors.
Accessible toilets are located in each Library location:
- Chifley Library – Levels 1, 2 and 3
- Menzies Library – Level 3
- Hancock Library – Level 1
- School of Law building – Levels 1, 2 and 3 near the Law Link theatre. Please note, these are not inside the Library
- School of Art & Design building – ground level, across the courtyard. Please note, this is not inside the Library
Access & Inclusion provide a variety of assistive technology to students including software, hardware, venues equipped with infra-red hearing augmentation devices, and the Chifley Resource Room located on Level 3 in Chifley Library.
There are two special access computers located on Level 2 of the Chifley Library. Priority is given to students who have accessibility issues at other computers.
Students are required to register with Access and Inclusion before services can be provided.
The ANU Library can send Library material to the home address of eligible ANU students and staff as part of their off-campus service.
Document Supply Service
Library materials in formats suitable for people with disabilities – for example audio books – can be identified through Trove (National Library of Australia) and requested from Document Supply Services.
Maps & floor plans
Floor plans are available for all ANU Library branches. Printed versions are also available from the branch information desk.
The ANU Library has a staff member located in the Chifley Library who can assist users with disabilities. If you have special concerns, please email Tom Foley (Senior Manager, Client Services).